Our staff will not be in the office for their safety - please email all communication requests to aid@inmateaid.com. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

  1. Home
  2. Services
  3. Post Conviction Attorney

Post Conviction Attorney

Appeals, Supreme Court Filings, Habeas Corpus & 2255 Motions

If you’ve already been through a trial with your attorney, chances are you’ve developed a good relationship and may want him or her to handle the next phase of your case. However, that may not be the right option for you or your attorney.

Should I Get Two Different Lawyers?

Trial lawyers and appellate lawyers often have vastly different skill sets. Trials require the skills of a lawyer who has experience in the courtroom and working before juries. Trial lawyers need to be very conscious of multiple, rapidly approaching deadlines, and extremely careful in their negotiations with opposing counsel.

By contrast, appeals often involve large amounts of writing, legal research, and arguing legal doctrines before a judge. Appellate lawyers are accustomed to having enough time to research legal issues in depth and write long briefs with intricate arguments. They come to the court room extremely well prepared and become experts on the cases before them.

Generally, lawyers find that they can best serve their clients when they focus on either trial or appellate skills. So if your case is past the trial phase and is headed to appellate court, it may be in your best interests to find a new attorney who specializes in appellate practice.

Whatever You Choose, Be Clear

Because trial and appellate work are two different types of legal practice, the lawyer who represented you at the trial will not automatically file or handle your appeal. You must ask your lawyer to do so, or find another attorney who will. If you want to appeal your conviction, be sure to specifically and clearly inform your attorney of that fact.

The U.S. Supreme Court recently determined that an attorney's failure to file a notice of appeal does not necessarily constitute ineffective assistance of counsel as long as the defendant did not clearly convey his or her wishes on the subject. In many states, the state public defender (or another assigned counsel) generally will handle the appeal for those unable to pay.