Skagit County Jail

County Jail

Last Updated: May 24, 2019
600 S 3rd St, Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Skagit County Jail is for County Jail offenders sentenced up to twenty four months.

All prisons and jails have Security or Custody levels depending on the inmate’s classification, sentence, and criminal history. Please review the rules and regulations for County - medium facility.

The phone carrier is Securus Tech®, to see their rates and best-calling plans for your inmate to call you.

If you are unsure of your inmate's location, you can search and locate your inmate by typing in their last name, first name or first initial, and/or the offender ID number to get their accurate information immediately Registered Offenders

Satellite View of Skagit County Jail

You can support your loved ones at Skagit County Jail on InmateAid, if you have any immediate questions contact the facility directly at 360-336-9448.

When someone you care about gets locked up, it's tough to figure out all the ins and outs of jail life. From sending mail to visiting, there are a lot of things to sort out. And getting info about the arrest? Not always easy. That's where this webpage comes in handy. It's here to help you get a handle on how things work at Skagit County Jail so you can stay connected and support your loved one behind bars.

The Skagit County Jail is a detention center located at 600 S 3rd St Mount Vernon, WA which is operated locally by the Skagit County Sheriff's Office and holds inmates awaiting trial or sentencing or both. Most of the sentenced inmates are here for less than two years. Skagit County accepts inmates from surrounding towns, Mount Vernon Police Department, and the US Marshal's Service.

New detainees arrive at the jail regularly, with some being released on bail, placed under pretrial services caseloads, supervised by probation agencies, or released on recognizance with a court appearance agreement. Those who are not released await their court appearances at the jail, receiving accommodations including bedding and meals. You can see all the arrest records for Washington here.

The Skagit County Sheriff's Office Corrections Division is an around the clock, 24/7 operation. There are 52 Corrections Deputies, 10 Corrections Sergeants, and 1 Lieutenant that are responsible for providing safe and secure housing for inmates being held in the custody of the Skagit County Jail.

The staff of the jail is also responsible for inmate movement outside of the jail facility, such as court appearances, medical appointments, etc. In addition to the Division's in-house responsibilities, Corrections staff are responsible for peripheral duties which include Medical Liaison, Jail Billing, Court Security, and the Jail Alternatives Program. The Jail Alternatives Program offers alternatives to standard methods of incarceration for those who qualify.

Such alternatives include Work Release, Community Service Work and Electronic Home Monitoring. Further, the Corrections Division employs one civilian working as the Division's Court Coordinator, responsible for facilitating the resolution of cases with multiple charges from multiple jurisdictions.

Sending mail to an inmate
The address for inmates at the Skagit County Jail is:
( Name of the Inmate )
c/o Skagit County Jail
201 Suzanne Lane
Mount Vernon, Washington

Question: May I send pictures to an inmate?
Answer: Yes, you may send up to two pictures in a single mailing, under the following guidelines:

  • No pictures of an obscene or sexually explicit nature.
  • No pictures which portray gang signs or endorse gang affiliation.
  • No pictures of a racist or inflammatory nature.
  • No Polaroid pictures.
  • There can not be anything stuck to the picture, i.e. tape, old glue etc.

Question: What items can be sent to an inmate?
A letter. Letters with glitter, stickers, perfume, lipstick, tape, etc. will be returned to sender.
Two (2) photographs.
A plain greeting card. Greeting cards with glitter, electronics (sound cards), stickers, etc. will be returned to sender.
Money orders or cashiers checks: Money orders and cashiers checks must be made out to Skagit County Jail.

Question: May I send material printed off of the internet, pages from a book, coloring pages, word game pages, etc?
Answer: No.

Question: Is there a size limitation on something sent to an inmate?
Answer: Yes. Nothing larger than a legal sized envelope can be sent to an inmate.

Question: Can a book be sent to an inmate?
Answer: Inmates at SCCJC can receive soft-cover paperback books mailed directly from Amazon. They must arrive at the jail from USPS, Fed-Ex or UPS. Inmates can only have one of these books at a time in their cell. Other books that come in the mail will be stored in their property and the inmate is allowed to switch out books.

Below is a list of prohibited items:

  • Sexually explicit material and/or references to sexually explicit behavior.
  • Instructions of “how-to” books about criminal activity.
  • Material advocating violence against others or the overthrow of authority.
  • Instructions for martial arts/self-defense/fighting techniques.
  • Instructions/descriptions of the making or assembly of weapons/bombs/destructive devices of any kind.
  • Material advocating hate, anger, ridicule or violence against a group of individuals or a protected class.
  • Any other material that the SCCJC staff believes may cause a safety or security issue

Frequently Asked Questions
QUESTION: Can I bring or send an inmate writing material, clothing, books, etc?
ANSWER: No. Inmates can buy writing materials, underwear, playing cards, hygiene items etc, under our commissary program. Indigent inmates are still permitted to purchase a basic indigent pack, which includes paper, envelopes, etc. An inmate’s family or friends can also purchase items from our commissary vendor and have those items delivered to the inmate.

QUESTION: Can I bring cookies (or any other food item) to an inmate?
ANSWER: No, nutritionally balanced meals are provided three times a day to all inmates. Inmates may also buy other snack type foods on commissary if they have money on their books. You may also use the to order food packages for an inmate.

QUESTION: How can I get money to an inmate?
ANSWER: The Skagit County Jail accepts money for inmates 24 hours a day via the kiosk in the jail lobby. The kiosk accepts cash and credit/debit cards. Money orders will be accepted through the mail. All money orders must be made out to "Skagit County Jail". A money order made out to an inmate will be returned to sender. If the inmate owes money to the jail, any money placed on their account will be subject to a 60/40 split, with 40% being applied towards monies owed to the jail. The Skagit County Jail does not accept personal checks for application to inmates account, or for bail. Money can also be sent to the inmate’s account over the internet:

QUESTION: Can an inmate have something notarized at the jail?
ANSWER: Notary services are not provided by the Skagit County Jail. Notaries are usually obtained by an inmate's attorney if needed

QUESTION: When does an inmate go to court?
ANSWER: The inmate's first court appearance will be the first working day following their arrest. The Jail does not keep track of other court dates. You may call the court to find out about additional court dates

QUESTION: My friend/family member is being held on an Investigative Hold. What does that mean?
ANSWER: An Investigative Hold, also known as a 72-hour hold, provides the arresting agency with time in which to investigate and file charges with the Prosecutor's Office. Bail amounts and a filing deadline will be set at the inmate's initial court appearance. The filing deadline is the day and time the inmate is to be released if formal charges are not filed with the court

QUESTION: What happens to my money if I post bail?
ANSWER: Bail is held by the court until the case is over. If the defendant fails to appear for court, the bail may be forfeited. The Jail does not control what the court does with bail

QUESTION: How much money do I have to put up for bail?
ANSWER: If bail is bondable, you may contact a bail bond agency to assist you in posting the bail. The fees they charge vary depending on the bail bond agency. If you are paying cash, the entire amount must be paid. Cash and credit cards are accepted at the kiosk in the jail lobby for bail

QUESTION: Can the Skagit County Jail recommend a bail bondsman or give me advice on what I should do?

QUESTION: How do I get an inmate released to visit a dying relative or attend a funeral?
ANSWER: This can only be done through an attorney and must be approved by a judge

QUESTION: How can I find out who an inmate's attorney is?
ANSWER: Contact the Public Defenders Office, or contact the inmate

QUESTION: How can I find out when an inmate is being transferred to another jail or prison?
ANSWER: This information is not released to the public for security reasons

QUESTION: How can I apply for Electronic Home Monitoring, Work Release, Community Service or other Jail Alternative Programs?
ANSWER: Requirements and application procedures are posted on the Jail Alternatives website

QUESTION: Can an inmate be released early?

QUESTION: Can an inmate release their keys, cell phone, wallet, etc to me?
ANSWER: No. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Shift Supervisor

Inmate Locator

To utilize the Inmate Search page on InmateAid, begin by selecting the relevant prison facility in Washington. This allows you to view the current list of inmates housed at Skagit County Jail.

The second section features the InmateAid Inmate Search tool, providing a user-generated database of inmates. You can access this resource to utilize any of InmateAid's services. If you require assistance in creating an inmate profile to maintain communication, please contact us at, and we'll gladly help you locate your loved one.

As a last resort, you might have to pay for that information if we do not have it. The Arrest Record Search will cost you a small amount, but their data is the freshest available and for that reason, they charge to access it.

Visitation Information

Skagit County Community Justice Center - Visitation

Visits must be scheduled at least one day in advance, but not more than 14 days in advance. Visitation occurs via video from the visitor’s home/device or in the lobby of the Skagit County Community Justice Center, 201 Suzanne Lane, Mount Vernon, WA 98273.

Video visits must be scheduled for times when the inmate is on their scheduled time out of cells. See schedule for specifics. If the visit is not scheduled during time out, it will not be allowed and no refund will be provided.

Jail cancelled visits: Visits are subject to change or cancellation based on operational needs and inmate movement within the jail. For example, if an inmate is moved to a new housing unit their visit may need to be rescheduled in their new unit. Every effort will be made to try and accommodate previously scheduled visits; however this may not always be possible. Visitors will be notified by email ahead of time if their visit has been cancelled.

ONSITE video visitation:

  • 1 time per week per inmate
  • You can schedule an appointment on-line or at the SCCJC lobby
  • Minors (under 18 years of age) must be supervised by an approved adult during the
    entire duration of the visit.
  • Anyone appearing to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol will not be allowed to visit
  • All visitors must wear appropriate clothing including shoes and shirts.
  • Staff, at their discretion, may refuse a visit due to inappropriate dress or conduct while visiting

To be eligible for an OFFSITE video visitation you must:

Offsite visitors must provide their own equipment and the necessary internet connections to participate in video visiting

Minors (under 18 years of age) will not be approved for visitation accounts and must be supervised by an approved adult during the entire duration of the visit

The following is prohibited during video visits:

  • Any display of nudity
  • Behavior or actions which are sexual in nature
  • Use or display of any weapons, drugs, alcohol, or related paraphernalia, including marijuana
  • Activity or display of graphics/paraphernalia associated with any Security Threat Group
  • Unlawful activity or depiction of unlawful activity
  • Recording/filming of the visit or visit participants by the visitor(s) or any third party

A visitor who engages in prohibited conduct may be suspended or terminated from video visiting privileges. Allowing an individual who is not an approved visitor to participate in video visiting may also be grounds for suspension, revocation or termination.

All video visits will be recorded, and designated employees will monitor live and recorded video visits for compliance with policy and facility rules.

Schedule for inmate time out of cells
Dorm 1 -- 08:00am-11:00pm
Female Worker Pod -- 08:00am-11:00pm
Male Inmate Worker -- 08:00am-11:00pm
Male Work Release -- 08:00am-11:00pm
Pods J & R
J101 – J111, R101 – R111 -- Lower Tier Out: 11:00am-12:00pm; 3:00pm-5:00pm; 9:00pm-11:00pm
J201 – J211, R201 – R211 -- Upper Tier Out: 10:00am-11:00am; 1:00pm-3:00pm; 6:00pm-8:00pm

Pod K
Cell # K101-K104 -- Lower Tier Out: 7:00am-9:00am; 3:00pm-5:00pm
Cell # K105-K111 -- Lower Tier Out: 10:00am-12:00pm; 6:00pm-8:00pm
Cell # K201-K211 -- Upper Tier Out: 1:00pm-3:00pm; 9:00pm-11:00pm

Pods N, P, Q
N101-N108, P101-P108, Q101-Q108 -- Lower Tier Out: 11:00am-12:00pm; 3:00pm-5:00pm; 9:00pm-11:00pm
N201-N208, P201-P208, Q201-Q208 -- Upper Tier Out: 10:00am-11:00am; 1:00pm-3:00pm; 6:00pm-8:00pm

M Pod
Times out depend on status of inmate
Upper Tier Out: 10:00am-12:00pm; 6:00pm-8:00pm

Visitation at the Community Justice Center is held via video at the facility by SECURUS

Ask The Inmate

Ask a former inmate questions at no charge. The inmate answering has spent considerable time in the federal prison system, state and county jails, and in a prison that was run by the private prison entity CCA. Ask your question or browse previous questions in response to comments or further questions of members of the InmateAid community.