Our staff will not be in the office for their safety - please email all communication requests to aid@inmateaid.com. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Reviewed on: April 22,2016

Do inmates pay child support?

I heard my ex is getting a lot of money deposited in their commissary account, do inmates have to pay child support?

Asked: April 22,2016
Ask the inmate answer
Going to jail does not automatically change a child support order. Only a judge can change or modify a child support order. If a parent that is in jail has income or assets that can be used to pay for your child's support, he or she has to continue to pay child support. If there already is a child support order, and the parent who was ordered to pay child support goes to jail (is incarcerated), the child support order does not automatically end. The order remains in effect until the court changes it or modifies it. The incarcerated parent may be able to pay child support if he or she still has income or assets that could be used to support your child - including money that is in the inmate's commissary account, you would need a court order to intervene and garnish a percentage of the monthly deposit.
Accepted Answer Date Created: April 23,2016

Thank you for trying AMP!

You got lucky! We have no ad to show to you!